Here’s how the credit for other dependents can benefit taxpayers
Taxpayers with dependents may qualify to claim a few different tax credits. One of these is the child tax credit. The child tax credit benefits people whose dependent meets a series of tests. If the dependent doesn’t meet those qualifications, the taxpayer may be able to claim the credit for other dependents.
Here’s some info about the credit for other dependents. These details can help taxpayers find out if they can claim it when they file their taxes next year.
- A taxpayer can’t claim the credit for other dependents for a child who qualifies for the child tax credit or the additional child tax credit.
- A qualifying individual could be the taxpayer’s older child, parent or cousin. It could even be someone who is not related to the taxpayer. To qualify, the unrelated person must have lived with the taxpayer for the entire tax year.
- The maximum amount of the credit is $500 per qualifying dependent.
- The dependent must be a U.S. citizen, a U.S. national, or a U.S. resident alien.
- Taxpayers who are eligible to claim this credit must list the name and Social Security number or individual taxpayer identification number for each dependent they claim on their tax return.
- The credit begins to phase out at $200,000 of modified adjusted gross income. This amount is $400,000 for married couples filing jointly.
- Taxpayers can use the worksheet on page 6 of Publication 972, Child Tax Credit, to determine if they can claim this credit.
Schutte & Hilgendorf offers a broad range of professional accounting, tax, and audit services to individuals and businesses throughout Yavapai County and Northern Arizona. With over 40 years combined certified public accounting experience, we specialize in providing services to numerous industry specific areas, including non-profit organizations, homeowner’s associations and construction contracting. We also provide tax planning and preparation, sales tax and payroll tax return preparation, ongoing accounting/bookkeeping, live payroll, and QuickBooks setup and training (QuickBooks Proadvisors). Given our small size, we can still provide a personal touch with professional expertise. Come in and see us anytime at 2086 Willow Creek Road, Prescott, Arizona or call us at 928-778-0079.