The IRS has a variety of resources to help members of the military, veterans and their families navigate the unique and sometimes complex circumstances that come with filing taxes while in the military.
Here’s a list of some of the resources these taxpayers may find helpful.
- Tax Information for Members of the Military is the main page on IRS.gov where people can go to find links to helpful info, resources and services.
- It’s very important that members of the military know the rules for service. This can be done by email.
- A taxpayer’s military status affects whether they are eligible for certain benefits. Taxpayers can check their eligibility for military tax benefits by visiting IRS.gov. Qualifying employers include the Armed Forces, uniformed services and support organizations.
- There are rules specific to those who serve in combat zones. These taxpayers and their families can find out more on the Tax Exclusion for Combat Service page of IRS.gov. They should also review special EITC rules. If these apply to their tax situation, it could lead to a larger refund.
- The Armed Forces’ Tax Guide is a comprehensive publication with info for military members. This includes:
- Special rules for military personnel serving abroad including deadline extensions
- Unreimbursed moving expenses
- Reserve component travel expenses
- Members of the military and qualifying veterans can prepare and e-file their taxes for free through MilTax. Taxpayers who do not qualify for MilTax have other options to prepare and e-file their federal taxes for free. Those who earned less than $72,000 in 2020 can use IRS Free File software. Any taxpayer, regardless of income, who is comfortable completing their tax forms digitally can use Free File Fillable Forms.
- Most military posts offer free income tax assistance through the military Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program. Military service members can contact their installation’s legal office for details. Veterans may also qualify for free tax help at locations nationwide. They just have to meet income or age requirements.
Share this tip on social media — #IRSTaxTip:Tax resources for military members, veterans and their families. https://go.usa.gov/xAGpq
Slater & Rutherford offers a broad range of professional accounting, tax, and audit services to individuals and businesses throughout Yavapai County and Northern Arizona. With over 40 years combined certified public accounting experience, we specialize in providing services to numerous industry specific areas, including non-profit organizations, homeowner’s associations and construction contracting. We also provide tax planning and preparation, sales tax and payroll tax return preparation, ongoing accounting/bookkeeping, live payroll, and QuickBooks setup and training (QuickBooks Proadvisors). Given our small size, we can still provide a personal touch with professional expertise. Come in and see us anytime at 2086 Willow Creek Road, Prescott, Arizona or call us at 928-778-0079.